Monday, July 11, 2011

Be like George Costanza. Do the OPPOSITE

It's no secret that I live half my life according the Seinfeld series.

My life in fact is made of up a series of Tommy Boy and Seinfeld references and I seem to surround myself with people who do the same.

This week I had a good workout and decent nutrition week and I realize now it's because I emulated my hero, George Costanza who said:

"I ALWAYS have tuna on toast. Nothing's ever worked out for me with tuna on toast. I want the complete opposite of tuna on toast!
Do you remember that episode? (Go watch a minute, it hilarious).
Of course it's not about the tuna, it's about going against my instincts to do the following: eat french fries, be lazy, cut my workout short and eat badly. (Of course he goes on to "get the girl" because he did the opposite of what he would have normally done... so see? It must work, right?)

What happens is the usual tale about mind versus body. My body tells me one thing (it's lazy, it's craving something, etc.) My brain begins to consider these things as fact and eventually becomes convinced somehow that my body is right even when it isn't and then it eventually agrees to whatever sabotaging setup my body has created for itself.

Well no more!

Because I'm doing the opposite!

When I want fast food, I eat good food!

When I wanna be lazy, I will do whatever the opposite of lazy is at the time! (I can't think of the opposite word for lazy. But in this scenario it probably has something to do with folding and putting away laundry and/or making time for exercise.)

When I want to flight I'm gonna fight!

When my instinct is fear, I'm gonna be fearless!

See, the more George disobeyed his instincts, which usually got him into trouble, the more successful he became! And it worked for me last week so this is what I'm doing.

I'M DOING THE OPPOSITE!

I suppose if you're on the right track already, doing the opposite will not work. So don't do that.

If not, turn off your brain and DO THE OPPOSITE!

And see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me goose!

(ps. I love responding and if you have your email set on your blogger profile I can!)

My Favorite Quotes

"Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it." - Bill Cosby



I tri because one day I didn't believe in myself. And then one day I did.



"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of a man is to live, not to exist." - Jack London



Some people think it's holding on that makes one strong- sometimes it's letting go.



"Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History."- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich



Live life PASSIONATELY, laugh OUT LOUD, love UNCONDITIONALLY. - from my spoon rest.

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire." - Ferdinand Foch