Saturday, April 30, 2011

Twas the night before St. Anthony's

Photobucket

THE NIGHT BEFORE ST. ANTHONY'S

Twas the night before St. Anthony's
And all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring,
not even a spouse.

The bikes were all racked
in transition with care,
in hopes that a good race day
soon would be there.

The children were nestled
all snug in their beds,
knowing that Papa
would be there instead.

With I in my bracelet
and chip timer strap,
I had soon settled down
for a few hours' nap.

When out on my nightstand
there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed
To turn off the chatter.

When what to my wondering eyes did appear
but excitement and happiness
And no longer fear!

I gathered my backpack
my towel and Gu's
transition mat, (no wetsuit)
sneakers, bike shoes.

My helmet, race numbers
and my body glide
prepping my mind
for this wild ride.

I jumped in the car,
the stereo thumped,
I sang loud and hard,
to get myself pumped.

And soon there I was
with transition still dark,
my age on my calf,
my body marked.

The sun started rising
just over the bay,
I put on my swim cap
and got on my way.

I stood on Spa Beach
and it called to me,
the ocean, the waves,
the sparkling sea.

The national anthem,
Swimmers gathered around,
Last minute chatter,
The horn ready to sound.

In just 30 seconds,
It would be my turn,
the countdown's begun
and my face starts to burn.

I zero my watch,
And play air guitar:
Happy racing to all!
And to all, NEW PR!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me goose!

(ps. I love responding and if you have your email set on your blogger profile I can!)

My Favorite Quotes

"Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it." - Bill Cosby



I tri because one day I didn't believe in myself. And then one day I did.



"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of a man is to live, not to exist." - Jack London



Some people think it's holding on that makes one strong- sometimes it's letting go.



"Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History."- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich



Live life PASSIONATELY, laugh OUT LOUD, love UNCONDITIONALLY. - from my spoon rest.

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire." - Ferdinand Foch