Sunday, August 29, 2010

Recipe: The Amazing Four Ingredient Cookie

I am about to give you the recipe for one of the best tasting cookies I HAVE EVER HAD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!

But first, a warning:

WARNING WARNING NOT LOW FAT! WARNING WARNING NOT LOW FAT!

So in case you don't care about the aforementioned warnings, here's the story of my Christmas Cookie.

A couple Christmases ago, we had a Christmas "Bake-off." We were going to just bake each other presents instead of buy presents and exchange baked goods instead of gifts but of course it all went terribly wrong when we would hear through the grapevine that someone was buying this and that and then all of a sudden we were baking our butts off AND buying presents...

DSC_0129My mother called my baked-good-contraption the "Winter Wonderland" because I had a gingerbread cake in there, fake snow in a basket, cookies in little bags and tins and it was wrapped all pretty in cellophane. Inside, were these cookies (you can see them barely in that blue and red cellophane right there). And by the way, what a walk down memory lane while writing this post.

I can't believe I found these pictures! This was December 2008 --  back when I was alllll sorts of post-partumy with a 4 week old and I actually cried that entire Christmas day in the back room at my parents' house and it all started with not being able to find anything except maternity clothes to wear to Christmas dinner! Ahh memories. Wow, that was a detour.

So, I found this recipe in my travels on a quest for a cookie for that bakeoff and the other day during the Shrinking Jeans Pantry Purge, the kids asked if we could make cookies and I was trying to clean out the pantry anyway and well, we made my favorite cookies. It was like Christmas in August! Only less post-partumy and with a 4 year old and a 2 year old and no longer in maternity clothes.

My first favorite thing about this cookie is that there are ONLY FOUR INGREDIENTS! Yes! FOUR!
DSC_0077

  • 1 cup Flour

  • 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar

  • 1/2 Cup Corn Starch

  • 1 1/2 Sticks (3/4 cup) softened Unsalted Butter (no margarine or substitute)

  • Dark Chocolate for melting/drizzling (optional)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl using a wire whisk or sift them together. Add the butter and mix by hand or with wooden spoon until the dough becomes nice and smooth.
DSC_0071
What I love second about this cookie is its versatility. You can roll it out and make cut out cookies with it like we did. We made A's and R's and M's for my son's names and their cousin who was staying with us. The M's and P's were for "Mamnee and Papa," my parents and that's what they call them.
DSC_0083

You certainly don't have to take all that time to roll them out. Instead you can roll them up into 1 inch balls and bake. Or, you can roll the dough into little balls, stick a fork in some flour and lightly flour it, and press it down into the dough and flatten it just a little and then bake it. When they come out of the oven, transfer cookies to wax paper, melt some dark chocolate and drizzle it across the cookie using a spoon. Delicious! That's what I did for my "winter wonderland" if you can see it hiding in there.
shortbreads
Or, you can roll them into crescents, bake them and then dip the ends in chocolate. Or you can roll them into balls and cover them with sprinkles and then bake. The possibilities are endless!

Bake them for 15-20 minutes or until they're light brown around the edges. Cool on wire rack.

They are amazing, rich, tiny little balls of joy! (Yes I did just say that.)

And by the way, don't you just love how every recipe seems to have a story to go with it? I do. More often than not, there is a memory involved. I think that's why I love cooking so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me goose!

(ps. I love responding and if you have your email set on your blogger profile I can!)

My Favorite Quotes

"Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it." - Bill Cosby



I tri because one day I didn't believe in myself. And then one day I did.



"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of a man is to live, not to exist." - Jack London



Some people think it's holding on that makes one strong- sometimes it's letting go.



"Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History."- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich



Live life PASSIONATELY, laugh OUT LOUD, love UNCONDITIONALLY. - from my spoon rest.

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire." - Ferdinand Foch